[Cialug] OT: what computer....

chris129 at cs.iastate.edu chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Fri Mar 10 14:52:19 CST 2006

Tell them not to buy it at Best Buy and wish them luck!

It doesn't matter what they buy now they'll:
1.)  Want Vista in 2 years.
2.)  Have to pay someone to reload it in 18 months.
3.)  Probably have utterly destroyed it with spyware within 2 months (I'm
assuming it's a home computer).

I usually tell people to go for Dell desktops and to avoid their laptops like
the plague.  Buy a Thinkpad or a Toshiba (or Apple if you want something
approximating a useful OS).
And if they do buy a Dell, I usually recommend the long warranty.  Unless they
just like buying computers often!

There's also the cop-out option:  "Do I look like the kid down the street?  I
deal with big iron lady, I don't even know how to turn a PC on!"  Or, mine.
"I'm a programmer not a pc repairman."  Then there's also, "What's Microsoft
and Dell?"