[Cialug] Call for lightning talks - Wednesday

Josh More morej at alliancetechnologies.net
Mon Jul 17 15:27:29 CDT 2006

You really shouldn't be using SLED10 to host web sites.  That's more of
job of SLES10.  I do not think that you will have any issues with
support
on SLES10 for what you are looking at.  That is, after all, it's
purpose.

Novell has not yet updated their package list, but I have sent Carl a
package list that I gleaned from my .iso.  If anyone else wants it,
let
me know.  (I figure that most of the list doesn't need a 1811 line
text
file appearing out of the blue.

--
-Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
 morej at alliancetechnologies.net
 515-245-7701

>>> <carl-olsen at mchsi.com> 07/17/06 3:03 PM >>>
I see they have 10 on their website this morning, but when I click on
the package descriptions for SLED 10, I get the list for Novell Linux
Desktop 9.  The only question I have is what packages are available for
SLED 10 and whether I can host websites on it like I'm doing with SLP
9.3.

--------------  Original message from "Josh More"
<morej at alliancetechnologies.net>: --------------

> First of all, let me clear up a misunderstanding. *all* versions of
> SUSE are the
> "open source" version. They're just not all free. They all contain
> some
> closed source software. Here are the differences:
>
> 1) OpenSUSE
>
> This is a project like Fedora or Ubuntu. It is available, for free,
> anyone
> who wishes to download it. If you wish to pay for it, you can also
> get
> Novell support. It tends to have a six month lifetime, after which it

> is replaced
> by a new minor number. Emphasis is on new and experimentalism. As
> such,
> this is best aimed at power users, who can deal with the rough edges
> get
> the best tools. When the minor number hits 1, it becomes:
>
> 2) SUSE Core
>
> This is the base for the other SUSE/Novell Linux versions. It is
> considered
> stable, and is supported for 7 years from release. It can be
> downloaded
> as part of the products below, for free, as an evaluation. Support
> costs money.
>
> 3) SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES)
>
> This is a distribution intended to be used as a server. Emphasis is
on
> security
> and stability. Versions 9 and 10 are available, based on Core 9, and

> Core 10
> respectively. Consider it similar to RHEL in purpose, though somewhat

> different in support and 3rd party apps (like App Armor and full Xen

> support)
>
> 4) SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED except in the Netherlands)
>
> This is a distribution intended to be used as a desktop (duh).
> Emphasis
> here is on usability. This is the Linux intended to be used by
"normal
> people".
> It has all the glitz and glamor with minimal rough edges. It does
> *not* have
> the latest and greatest foo.whatever. Stability still matters.
> Versions 9 and
> 10 are available. 9 is intended to be used by call center people, and

> data entry folks. 10 is intended to be used by general office
> workers.
> Neither is intended to be used by power users.
>
> 5) Open Enterprise Server (OES)
>
> This is basically SLES with Novell services. It natively supports
NSS,
> iFolder, iPrint,
> GroupWise, and the standard Novell/Netware fare. It is intended to
> replace
> Netware and MS Small Business Server. There a nice new bundle that
> includes
> OES, Groupwise, OpenOffice and (optionally) Linux Desktop. This tends

> to be
> much cheaper per user than MS Small Business Server, and it's all
open
> source.
> (go ahead, get excited now). Currently, it is only available in
> version 9, but version
> 10 is expected once SLES 10 stabilizes.
>
> 6) Novell Linux Point of Service (LPOS)
>
> This is a version of Linux that runs well on cash registers and like

> machines.
> It has native hardware support and includes the fancy Java tools that

> this
> hardware requires. I have very little experience with this other than

> a basic
> install. I think that only version 9 is currently available.
>
> 7) Netware 6.5
>
> What am I doing? Netware isn't Linux! Well, actually, Novell
> announced
> that they will support Netware for 13 years (from last March) when it

> is
> running inside Xen on SLES 10 (and theoretically, all other versions
of
> SLES).
>

> In general:
>
> If you are a hobbiest or hacker, use OpenSUSE
> If you are in the business world and need a server, use SLES
> If you are in the business world and need a desktop, use SLED
> If you are in the business world and need a one- box- fits- all, use
OES

> If you have more questions, feel free to ask me at the LUG meeting on

> Wed.
>

> --
> - Josh More, RHCE, CISSP, NCLP
> morej at alliancetechnologies.net
> 515- 245- 7701

> I'd also like to start using Java and JSP, so I'm interested in
Tomcat

bounces at cialug.org] On