[Cialug] SUSE 10.1 or Debian?

Sam sam at jazpupy.com
Tue Jul 11 14:54:13 CDT 2006

carl-olsen at mchsi.com wrote:
> I have two machines, so I'm not worried about down time.  I'd like to
> keep working with SUSE because I have some experience with it and it
> seems to do everything I need to do.  It is working flawlessly and has
> been for a couple  years now.  However, being able to upgrade the OS
> without wiping the drive or doing a complete reinstall does sound like
> a major improvement.  I can understand having to reboot several
> times.  I just wiped the drive on my laptop and reinstalled Windows XP
> and I had to reboot several times to get all the patches installed.
> After installing all of the patches, Office 2003, SQL Server 2005,
> Visual Studio 2003, and Visual Studio 2005, I probably rebooted at
> least 20 times.

My understanding is patches can be done from yast but to upgrade to a
new version you must get the new version CDs and boot to disc one and
run the install. At some point you'll be asked about upgrading or
replacing or words to that affect. I've done that once and it went off
without a hitch. I went from Suse 10.0 to 10.1. I only remember 1 reboot.