[Cialug] Sun + Linux

John.Lengeling at radisys.com John.Lengeling at radisys.com
Thu Feb 16 11:13:22 CST 2006

cialug-bounces at cialug.org wrote on 02/14/2006 05:39:59 PM:

> On 2/14/06, John.Lengeling at radisys.com <John.Lengeling at radisys.com>
wrote:

> Okay, I will ask a stupid question....Why not just run Solaris?  It
> runs 100% without problems.
>
>  Have you *run* Solaris? An old E3500 is probably free, why not have
> some fun and let it run a real OS before it dies?

Just curious since the last time that I ran RedHat on a Sun the hardware
support was minimal and the port was eventually abandoned.  Of course I
was using older hardware like IPX, SS5. Seems like as soon as you stray
from x86, the quality of the port goes down.  Are there other Linux/Sparc
ports available now?  I see BSD has an UltraSparc port, has anyone tried
it?

johnl