[Cialug] Sun + Linux

Dave Weis djweis at internetsolver.com
Tue Feb 14 19:55:48 CST 2006

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Aaron Porter wrote:
> On 2/14/06, John.Lengeling at radisys.com <John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
>> Okay, I will ask a stupid question....Why not just run Solaris?  It runs
>> 100% without problems.
> Have you *run* Solaris? An old E3500 is probably free, why not have some
> fun and let it run a real OS before it dies?

If you compare what was available at the time, Solaris 2.6 beat the snot
out of linux in capabilities. It was old when I was running RH 6.2 and was
much more stable. Usability sucked until you installed the gnu suite from
sun freeware and got bash and the rest of the shell utilities.

OTOH, I installed a RH 6.2 or 7.0 based solaris distribuion on a E450 with
4 300 or 400 mhz processors, it felt about twice as fast as sunos.

dave

--
Dave Weis
djweis at internetsolver.com