[Cialug] JavaScript

Carl Olsen carl-olsen at mchsi.com
Mon Dec 11 06:03:58 CST 2006

I'm starting to use JavaScript frequently, mostly in conjunction with Google
Maps and PHP, but also in various other projects, and now I'm taking a
Computer Science course that requires a lot of JavaScript programming.  Up
to now, I've mostly used it to wire up buttons on my page so I can pass
parameters to PHP functions using hidden HTML input tags (using the
document.getElementById() method).  The environment I'm currently working in
requires JavaScript, so the question of whether to use it or not is not
relevant in my situation.  When I use PHP, I don't have to worry about what
version the client is running.  The main things I think about from the
client perspective is CSS and JavaScript.  I want to start learning more
about JavaScript, but I find it confusing as to which version is going to
work in the largest number of client browsers.  It seems like not all of the
features work in every browser.  It also seems like the support for things
like arrays is no where near as advanced as it is in languages like PHP,
Java, or C#.  Does anyone know if there is a version of JavaScript that is
currently a de facto standard?  What version are most people using?  I'm
mainly looking for features like PHP has for manipulating arrays, like
in_array() and thinks like that (last index of, etc.).

Also, is anyone aware of a JavaScript user group, similar to the PHP user
group?

Carl Olsen

Drake University