[Cialug] nvidia/ati

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Dec 8 10:23:58 CST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 10:12 -0600, Dave J. Hala Jr. wrote:
> I'm doing a flat panel and video card upgrade on my RHEL 3.x WS
> computer.
>
> I'm currently running a gforce mx4 video card using the nvidia driver
> with KDE. Its really kind of a *pita* due to the fact whenever you do a
> kernel update you need to do a driver update.
>
> I'm wondering if I switch to an ATI card can I still get decent X
> performance using an ATI driver that doesn't have the same pitfalls as
> the Nvidia drivers? If I buy a new card it will be something common and
> costing less than $100.00

I have a ATI Radeon Mobility X600 in my laptop running FC6 with X.org
7.1.1 and the stock ATI driver.  I get 50-60 FPS with PPRacer in 800x600
mode  and around 1900 FPS in glxgears.

From what I've heard, unless you have the latest and greatest ATI card
or a really old one you can get decent performance out of them with the
drivers in recent versions of X.org.  There is also some work going on
to develop an open-source 3D driver for nVidia cards, but those aren't
quite ready yet.

Jeff