[Cialug] linuxant wlan driver?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Thu Oct 27 14:33:19 CDT 2005

Paul Gray wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:09:06PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
>
>>Oh, FYI we got wifi in Dave's Gateway laptop running last night. He got
>>an Intel 2200 (Centrino) mini-pci card from someone, and Mandriva had
>>drivers for it. We had to turn on the Wireless option in the system
>>BIOS, and it seems to be working fine now. The sound still doesn't work
>>- it will load the intel 8x0 sound driver, but won't play any sounds.
>

> Of all of the cards we tested going to WPA+802.1x, the ipw2200 is the *only*
> card that worked for us in Linux here at UNI.
>
> The biggest impediment to success with ndiswrappers (mainly broadcom and
> realtek) and prism/orinoco is that our university does some funky vlans over
> the access point that preclude them from broadcasting essid beacons.  We have
> separate vlans for open/student usage and for faculty, so all of the essid's
> are of the <hidden> type.

I can connect to a hidden WAP with either my orinico or my acx100 based
cards under Linux. I'm sure what you were doing was a bit more complex
then my one AP setup at home. :)

> ndiswrappers and the orinoco drivers were unable to see the APs, which meant
> that they were unable to associate and subsequently authenticate.
>
> My recommendation is plunk down $35, download the Intel openfirmware from
> sourceforge, and go with this card:
>    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833106219
> if your mini-PCI slot is open.

Thanks for the info. I've seen some sites selling the Aetheros mini-pci
card that allegedly has a good linux driver for nearly $100.

-dc