[Cialug] linuxant wlan driver?

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:31:55 CDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 02:09:06PM -0500, David Champion wrote:
> Oh, FYI we got wifi in Dave's Gateway laptop running last night. He got
> an Intel 2200 (Centrino) mini-pci card from someone, and Mandriva had
> drivers for it. We had to turn on the Wireless option in the system
> BIOS, and it seems to be working fine now. The sound still doesn't work
> - it will load the intel 8x0 sound driver, but won't play any sounds.

Of all of the cards we tested going to WPA+802.1x, the ipw2200 is the *only*
card that worked for us in Linux here at UNI.

The biggest impediment to success with ndiswrappers (mainly broadcom and
realtek) and prism/orinoco is that our university does some funky vlans over
the access point that preclude them from broadcasting essid beacons.  We have
separate vlans for open/student usage and for faculty, so all of the essid's
are of the <hidden> type.

ndiswrappers and the orinoco drivers were unable to see the APs, which meant
that they were unable to associate and subsequently authenticate.

My recommendation is plunk down $35, download the Intel openfirmware from
sourceforge, and go with this card:
   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833106219
if your mini-PCI slot is open.

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
323 Wright Hall                                   /\\