[Cialug] Virus Protection for Linux

Chris Hettinger cjh at raccoon.com
Tue Nov 1 16:40:07 CST 2005

David Champion wrote:
> As Stuart mentioned there's ClamAV (comes with Mandriva that you have...)

I will review this one... thanks. If others have input please continue
to share so I have a couple to review.

> Are they looking to protect the linux boxes, or to scan incoming email,
> or what?

The boxes have a very limited range of functions ... 1 production web
server, 1 development server. That's it. They are not used for file
sharing, have no user account other than 3 admins 2 of which have never
logged in nor had to, they do not handle any email other than the
sending out from the web site. The most advanced thing I'm doing is a
Samba share that only I used to work on the sites.

> It's hard to convince PHB's some times, but "viruses" as people know
> them for Windows aren't a big problem on Linux... yet. There are various
> exploits and rootkits to worry about.

This is an arguement I've made sucessfully at the previous requests for
an recomendation. This request is being driven more by Corporate
compliance standards that have them reviewing all of the IT checklists
and operation docs.