[Cialug] Virus Protection for Linux

Chris Hilton chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Tue Nov 1 16:39:45 CST 2005

Virus scanning, on all platforms, is a bit silly.  It's almost needed on
Windows anymore, but it's really pointless on *nix in general (except for
scanning e-mail, but that's not a desktop thing).

ClamAV is all I know of, but you'll find that 99% of the time it's used on
mail servers.

I think as Linux becomes popular we'll see more trojans, but right now it's
really only a target for hand-done rootkits and bad login attempts (trying to
login as guest/root/nobody with passwords like '', 'god', and 'love').

But for now, Linux isn't really a good target for automated attacks.  And if
you're worried about hand done attacks, than virii is not the right place to
start being paranoid.

I've seen far more problems with spyware/adware on Windows machines.  You
know, these adware removing programs don't consider AIM to be adware?  What's
their definition of adware?  Is it not software which advertises needlessly?
AIM does that ;).  I hardly ever used my Windows box, but apparently I had a
keycapture program running.  I don't even browse the web except to download
game updates and windows updates!  Most of the time I was even running as a
user.  I honestly don't know how the Windows security model has become that
broken, but every time I get experience with it I find more issues like this.
So, I really think, virus's as they are in Windows are not a problem on
Linux/BSD/Darwin because of the superior security model and default setups.

If they really want a slower PC, buy them a slower PC.

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 03:58 pm, Chris Hettinger wrote:
> I've been asked to recommend virus protection software for our linux
> boxes and I'm not familiar with any ... help!
>
> how's that for open ended...
> -ch

"The only winning move is not to play."