[Cialug] OT: KVM=how sick of a geek you are.

James Shoemaker cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 07:58:24 -0500

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> I have a theory that states you can tell how much of a geek somebody is by
> how many total ports their home KVM switches has.
>
> -Nate

	Don't even own a kvm, KVM's cost money, keyboards and monitors are
often free.  Why use anything but SSH anyway?  Are you managing servers
with poor SSH support?  I just ssh into the box I want from the one I am
sittng at and tunnel X there, why go to the computer you want, bring it
to you.  If it is one of those windows OS's use remote desktop and never
sit at it, Cygwin's X server sucks, constantly crashing if you do
anything complicated (much more than an xterm).

	I usually decide by the oldest machine still in active use, "It still
does 'X' perfectly well why kill it".  Also the shock when someone tells
that a computer is too slow to be useful when it is faster than half the
machines on their home network.

James