[Cialug] OT: KVM=how sick of a geek you are.

D. Joe Anderson cialug@cialug.org
Sat, 21 May 2005 03:55:26 -0500

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 08:16:01PM -0500, Academician Kula wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 07:25:10PM -0500, Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> >
> > I have a theory that states you can tell how much of a geek somebody is by
> > how many total ports their home KVM switches has.

has, or uses?  I've got a switch I don't use, that I bought just
in case many years ago.  Maybe I should see if it handes the
USB-via-USB-to-PS/2 mouse connection that makes my (ahem)
"production" switch lose its freaking mind: I'd really like to
be able to use that USB optical mouse.  I don't care how old
school they are, ball mice suck: Even with all 40 windows open
in my screen session, I sometimes still want to do something
that requires the use of the rodent.

You show me someone who can do cool stuff with sodipodi or
inkscape, running aught but ratpoison and a keyboard, and I
submit we've found our alpha geek.

> Perhaps for some geeks, but about half of the active machines in
> my computer room don't do this newfangled "video", and have three
> cables coming out of them: power, ethernet and serial console.

How about just power?  I may not have the numbers of machines,
but I figure a 3:1 reduction in cables has to make up for it in
some respects.  Granted, I can't reach the box while the
microwave is running, but still.

--
D. Joe Anderson         http://www.etrumeus.com/~deejoe
"DRM [...] is to copyright law as a machine gun on