[Cialug] Apple and Intel

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Wed Jun 8 16:58:10 CDT 2005

Nice thoughts. Since I got tagged "rabid" I'll respond.  I don't think
anyone wants to mob anyone with anything.   And I understand your
perspective.  FOSS isn't where linux came from, it's where linux is.
The compiler you use, the C library, the editors, the debugger, the
assembler, the majority  of the OS.  The Linux kernel itself is GPLed.
The issue isn't to shove it down anyone's throat.  This issue is one of
"lest we forget".  People can easily make references to Stallman and
rightly so as the most outspoken proponent of FOSS.  It IS a politial
message.

We see rights chipped away at everyday, and don't complain, as long as
it "whatever is being affected just works."  Can't use a dvr to skip
commercials?  That's ok cause TiVO is Linux and it's great!  and
consumers aren't educated enough to understand that there are freedoms
and rights (fair use act?!?) that are getting stomped all over.  one of
our LUG members has a tagline that I copied and enjoy tremendously that
sums up the danger that "Open Source" over Free Software
implies...digging through papers.......... and obviously can't find
now.  Something to the sound of "Freedoms/Rights being slowly eroded not
by grand force...."

I think it's great that more and more folks are turning to Linux.
Without the GPL and FOSS however it wouldn't exist today. Nor without
it, will it be any different than any propriatary OS.  I don't use Linux
just because it's stable.  I could use solaris for that.  I don't use
Linux just because it dosen't cost me money.  I've donated regularly to
different projects, and could use solaris 10 x86 if I wanted.  I don't
use linux cause it's cool.  (It is however)  I use linux because I have
the capacity to maintain my freedoms that other OS's hope that I'll not
realize I'm missing.  Open Source may draw users to Linux.  When
whatever great new other propriatary Operating System comes out and is
*cooler* or *better* than Linux, the  user understanding thier freedoms
is what will keep them.

Theron

Off to enjoy beer and brats....... Hope to see you all there...