[Cialug] Apple and Intel

chris129 at cs.iastate.edu chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Wed Jun 8 16:46:05 CDT 2005

It's not that black and white, which is funny because you're arguing against a
black and white viewpoint ;).  Much of what you say is true, but it's more
involved than this:

You're right that you shouldn't tell people they should use it because it's
Free.  However, vendor-lockin and lastability of maintainence are very
important to some very practical people.  The words:  If the people who make
this:
a.)  Die.
b.)  Get bored.
c.)  Go Bankrupt.
d.)  Are kidnapped by aliens.
Then,
   You will be able to maintain this yourself if you are really that locked in.
And, someone else may also decide to maintain it because there may be thousands
of people using it (or millions).  Otherwise, there's a small chance you'll
have no choice but to find an alternative.

Then you can talk about proprietary software developments and the havock that
marketing reeks on what would be good software (read:  stupid deadlines that
should be moved but can't because the ad campaign started already).

Then you can talk about the general quality, specific useful tools, etc, etc,
etc.

And finally, you may wish to point out that most proprietary software companies
go out of business after being successful.  Just to rub it in.

So yes, free software is very practical.  And that's not RMS talking, it's
usually people like ESR.

It's sad to think this whole thing started from me implying that Apple was
terrible and people thought I was implying selling software was evil.

I believe in free software, and I use a lot of proprietary software.  Sometimes
there's no good free tool; usually that's because the idea is very new or the
capability is very new.