[Cialug] AMD Athlon XP supplies may be drying up

timwilson011 at mchsi.com timwilson011 at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 1 12:04:46 CDT 2005

There's actually 2 styles of the Sempron.  There's a Socket A style, and a
Socket 754 style.  The Socket 754 is basically an Athlon 64, but only in 32 bit
mode.  My guess is they're the processors that didn't pass the 64 bit test, so
they disabled the 64 bit circuitry, and tested it as a 32 bit processor.  The
Socket A style replaces the Duron.  An XP 2600+ (Barton) runs at 1.9GHz with
512KB L2 Cache.  A Sempron 2600+ (Thoroughbred) runs at 1.833GHz with 256KB L2
Cache.  Slower core speed and less cache, yet the same speed rating.

--
Tim W.