gui configuration of firewalls, was: Re: [Cialug] ATA IDE Card

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:34:12 -0600

Mark Hesseltine wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:37:20 -0600, david l goodrich <dlg@dorkzilla.org> wrote:
>
>>Bryan Baker wrote:

>>>Just poked around:
>>>http://www.coyotelinux.com/downloads/channel.php?ChannelID=5
>>>It's there.
>>
>>what about m0n0wall?  it's got a handy-dandy web configurator built in.
>>
>>granted, rewriting the rc scripts in php strikes me as ... odd... but
>>apparently it's quite a nice product.  http://m0n0.ch/wall/
>>   --waldo
>>

>>>--
>>>Bryan Baker
>>>Technology Advocate
>>>Iowa Legal Aid
>>>Suite 230
>>>1111 9th Street
>>>Des Moines, Ia 50314-2527
>>>
>>>(515) 243-2151 (x1635)
>>>
>>>http://www.iowalegalaid.org
>>>bbaker@iowalaw.org
>>>

> If you're going to stick with the HD/controller setup, I'll second the
> use of m0n0. I just got DSL installed at work and needed something to
> route/firewall my DSL connection. Use the console one time to set the
> network interfaces, and everything else can be done from a nice
> WebGUI.

Might make a nice meeting presentation : overview of firewall
applications. Anyone using Smoothwall, or any of the others? Does anyone
know of one that incorporates the Linux Bandwidth Arbitrator? The
Smoothwall "commercial" edition hints that it uses something like that,
but it might just be the simpler QoS stuff, which Shorewall does for free.

-dc