[Cialug] >freenets

Don Cady cialug@cialug.org
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:00:54 -0600

It's more than a few dozen. And there are also Freenets in
Atlanta: www.atlantafreenet.org
Austin: www.austinwirelesscity.org
New York: www.nycwireless.net
Portland: www.personaltelco.net
SF Bay Area- www.bawug.org, http://www.archive.org/web/sflan.php,
www.toaster.net
SoCal: www.socalwug.org
Northern CA: www.nocat.net
Urbana-Champaign: www.cuwireless.net
my favorite (interesting topology) is- Perth & Western Australia
www.wafreenet.org
Also Chicago, Houston, Denver, Ann Arbor, Twin Cities, Boston, Philly,
Jasksonville, Pasedina, and Cambridge have groups talking about starting
them (if they haven't already). And this is just the "big" cities. Towns the
size of Ames, Grinell, Waterloo all accross the country could have small
ones going, but they haven't put up a website yet, so they haven't 'hit the
radar'!

I could go on and on, copy/pasting into the night. There are hundreds of
these in the english speaking world alone. Although I can't read the
non-english webpages, I understand they're booming elsewhere as well. You
can find more at www.communitywireless.org,
http://wiki.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/WirelessCommunities, www.nodedb.com,
and of cource google. :)
And yes, SeattleWireless is neat too. They've made TV shows too!
tv.seattlewireless.net
As you can tell, it's a favorite topic of mine, and setting one up is on my
virtual to-do-if-I-ever-get-the-time list. (It also requires people who are
geographically close)

Don