[Cialug] Corruption with ReiserFS

James Shoemaker james at dhlake.com
Sun Aug 28 08:35:08 CDT 2005

dave at visionary.com wrote:

> I've had really good luck with reiserfs.
>
> I think it's only fair to note that James is talking about a fairly
> extreme case, where he's (IIRC) ripping video from a DV camera which
> creates huge files. For the average user reiserfs is going to give you
> better performance than ext3.

	Could be, but when a file system that has EXTREMELY sub-optimal
performance in a corner case I get worried about the design.  I agree
that my situation was a corner case, but a properly designed filesystem
should be able to avoid such a poor response to that situation, ext2 and
ext3 did.
	They note that the issue still exists in their FAQ:

Why do things freeze on my IDE hard drive for annoying amounts of time
     Because when large writes are scheduled all at once, reads can
starve. A fix for this is evolving; the later your ReiserFS patch, the
better we handle this.

	Could be that it is fixed, but I would bet not.  They have had this
note in the FAQ for over 5 years and I would assume the comment would
change once they fix it.

James