[Cialug] Corruption with ReiserFS

Stuart Thiessen sthiessen at passitonservices.org
Sun Aug 28 00:38:52 CDT 2005

That may be.  My experience with this particular server is that it was
only functioning as a fileserver for my office and shared with remote
offices using sftp and something happened (I'm not sure what yet) and
the FS said it was corrupted. I followed its instructions (which were
quite cryptic to me) and it appeared to recover the files but the
contents were unreadable.  That was quite frustrating to me as this was
supposed to be a journaled filesystem and it should have read it back
correctly.  I never had that problem with any FS I have ever worked
with.

It may be faster, but I'm more concerned with reliability. I've been
doing some checking on the web and it seems that ReiserFS has had more
incidents with corruption than other FS, so I will probably reinstall
with ext3 for now until I have a better idea of what is more stable.

Stuart