[Cialug] Corruption with ReiserFS

dave at visionary.com dave at visionary.com
Sun Aug 28 00:17:42 CDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005, Stuart Thiessen <sthiessen at passitonservices.org>
said:

> Thanks!  It seems ReiserFS is the default for SUSE, so I just accepted
> it without checking it out then it messed up on me and I was quite
> surprised.  This helps!
>
> Stuart
> On Aug 27, 2005, at 20:53, James Shoemaker wrote:
>
>> chris129 at cs.iastate.edu wrote:
>>> I don't know.  I've never trusted reiser with anything more than my
>>> OS files. Personal files always go on the good old standby:  ext3.
>>
>> 	I agree, but my big problem with reiser was speed.  On large
>> (multi-gigabyte) streaming writes it starved interrupts from other
>> drivers.  It seemed to spend too much time in kernel mode and caused
>> interrupt loss when it flushes its buffers.
>> 	This may be fixed, but once burned.
>>
>> 	If I switch from ext3 I will likely switch to XFS.
>>
>> James

I've had really good luck with reiserfs.

I think it's only fair to note that James is talking about a fairly
extreme case, where he's (IIRC) ripping video from a DV camera which
creates huge files. For the average user reiserfs is going to give you
better performance than ext3.

ext3 does have the benefit of being able to mount as plain old ext2 if the
journal gets totally corrupted. In cases where I've had problems with
reiser, it was able to recover on its own. The only one I can think of
that failed was a case where the hard drive was flaking out.

Here's a web page that shows benchmarks:

http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks.html

-dc