[Cialug] Linux Trademark -- What do you think of this?

Tom Poe tompoe at studioforrecording.org
Sat Aug 20 12:15:25 CDT 2005

Tom Poe offered the following on 08/20/2005 11:51 AM:
> Travis Beaty offered the following on 08/20/2005 11:17 AM:
>
>> Hello everyone.
>>
>> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050816092029989
>>
>> There is apparently a development in Australia where a company,
>> supposedly under the authority of Linus Torvalds, is demanding that
>> people pay to use the Linux name.  I looked on the "LMI" website, and
>> they also have information on buying a license to use the Linux penguin.
>>
>> Granted, this issue is in Australia right now.  And I can, in a way,
>> see the argument that Pamela Jones makes on Groklaw.  But, in my
>> opinion, this is A Very Bad Thing, and it's just a matter of time
>> before people here in the U.S. start getting these letters.
>>
>> What do you think?  Should we all quit calling our operating systems
>> "Linux," and call it a "GNU Operating System," as a Groklaw commenter
>> suggested?  Should we all start creating GUGs instead of LUGs?  Must
>> we find a new mascot?
>>
>> It almost sounds to me as though someone in the Linux world has been
>> copying pages out of Microsoft's playbook, and frankly, I'm a little
>> ticked.
>>
>> That is of course my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Travis Beaty
>> Osage, Iowa.
>>
> I filled out the application to use "Linux" in text, in products for our
> online shop: www.cafepress.com/openstudios/ as well as t-shirts, mugs,
> CDs, DVDs, other recording merchandise for fund-raising.  Listed us as a
> 501(c)(3) charitable organization incorporated in Nevada.  When I
> submitted the form, there was no indication of when, or even, if they
> would be contacting me with a decision.  I didn't see anything on the
> site at first glance, that would explain the process in detail.
>
> Will post results, if and when I receive notice, for those interested.
>
> One nice thing, the Tux Penguin is not included in this adventure.
> Tom

I forgot to mention, on Groklaw, the pricing structure shows a flat rate
for nonprofit (both formal and informal) groups paying US$200.00.  For
small nonprofits, and I'll bet most "informal" groups, this is
intolerable.  If they hold to that, and it turns out, Open Studios is a
licensed required organization, then it would seem all LUG groups need
to start gathering their pennies up for payment.  Am I wrong?
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/