[Cialug] Linux Trademark -- What do you think of this?

Tom Poe tompoe at studioforrecording.org
Sat Aug 20 11:51:45 CDT 2005

Travis Beaty offered the following on 08/20/2005 11:17 AM:
> Hello everyone.
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050816092029989
>
> There is apparently a development in Australia where a company, supposedly
> under the authority of Linus Torvalds, is demanding that people pay to use
> the Linux name.  I looked on the "LMI" website, and they also have
> information on buying a license to use the Linux penguin.
>
> Granted, this issue is in Australia right now.  And I can, in a way, see the
> argument that Pamela Jones makes on Groklaw.  But, in my opinion, this is A
> Very Bad Thing, and it's just a matter of time before people here in the U.S.
> start getting these letters.
>
> What do you think?  Should we all quit calling our operating systems "Linux,"
> and call it a "GNU Operating System," as a Groklaw commenter suggested?
> Should we all start creating GUGs instead of LUGs?  Must we find a new
> mascot?
>
> It almost sounds to me as though someone in the Linux world has been copying
> pages out of Microsoft's playbook, and frankly, I'm a little ticked.
>
> That is of course my opinion.  Your mileage may vary.
>

> Regards,
>
> Travis Beaty
> Osage, Iowa.

I filled out the application to use "Linux" in text, in products for our
online shop: www.cafepress.com/openstudios/ as well as t-shirts, mugs,
CDs, DVDs, other recording merchandise for fund-raising.  Listed us as a
501(c)(3) charitable organization incorporated in Nevada.  When I
submitted the form, there was no indication of when, or even, if they
would be contacting me with a decision.  I didn't see anything on the
site at first glance, that would explain the process in detail.

Will post results, if and when I receive notice, for those interested.

One nice thing, the Tux Penguin is not included in this adventure.
Tom

--
Open Studios, Charles City, Iowa, USA
www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/