[Cialug] No Machine

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 8 Apr 2005 14:18:35 -0500

I can't find the source of the free server, can you send a pointer?

I may be searching for the wrong thing (freenx?). Is it available as source?
What distro are you running the server on?

I'm trying to run the commercial demo but I am running into a library
problem.

Thanks Kevin.

-Nate

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin C. Smith [mailto:kevin@linuxsmith.com]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 2:14 PM
To: cialug@cialug.org
Subject: Re: [Cialug] No Machine

> Was Kevin using No Machine?  (NX Machine)
>
> Anybody else?  Is it preferred to use the GPLed and free version or
> the GPLd and pay-fo-license version?
>
> What are the benefits of NX over VNCserver?  I'm guessing encryption,
> and ease of use, any others?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Nate

Yes I was. I'm running FreeNX the GPL server, and using No Machine's clients
for Windows and Linux.

The clients are "free", I believe in both meanings. (Not sure... anyone?)
The server NXserver is licensed. The GPL FreeNX works fine for me, however I
have one client at a time connecting (me), so cannot attest to it's
performance in an "enterprise" or similar environment. If I were to provide
access for employees via NX at the office, personally I would purchase
NXserver.

Basically, NX using existing Xserver protocols, SSH, and compression. It
therefore provides and encrypted and fairly speedy connection. VNC is much
slower (I used this for a time and gave up). Only advantage that VNC has is
that it's server can run on other platforms than Linux. However, NX can
proxy RDP, VNC, and ICA. So, I have FreeNX running on my Linux box at work,
which provides RDP access to my various Windows XP boxs. Also, I've read
that a NXclient is being built into KDE .. cool :).

Hope that answers your questions.

--
Kevin C. Smith