[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

Kevin C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:39:35 -0600 (CST)

> Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>
>> Since there are many distros using KDE as their default, they tend to
>> improve on it then send some or all of that back to KDE. This helps
>> KDE developement. Wanting the same forces pushig Gnome development and
>> wanting Gnome to get more exposure isn't being a zeolot is it? <humor>
>> Or do you KDE people want "special rights"?
>> Maybe a contract with all distros requiring them to use KDE as their
>> default. They can include other desktops but they can't tell the user
>> its on the cd or how to install it. Call the MS Linux contract.
>> </ humor>
>
> I have no idea how much Mandrake developers contrib back to either KDE
> or Gnome. I get the idea that they try to support both...
>
> http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/10.1/features/3.php3
>
> Following your logic, if I develop a web app in PHP, does that mean I
> should also develop it for mod_perl and JSP?

No. This is not my logic. Your anology looks more like this regarding
destops. "If I develop a desktop in C, does that I mean I should
also develop it in C++ and Objective C?" That is not my point. And
the answer is no, in fact it would be silly.

If the web app is the distro and PHP is the desktop. My logic was:
If someone develops a web app in PHP and makes improvements to PHP to
make a better web app. It is better for PHP, which gets those improvements
back, then it is for mod_perl and JSP. If more web apps are developed
in PHP, PHP gets more feedback and innovation. And it is nice to see this
new web app written in mod_perl because there is only a few others, and
if it does well it will help mod_perl developement and innovation.

Above all there was no SHOULD in my logic. We are having a totally
different discussion. I never said anyone had to do anything in my logic.
Just that development moves faster with use, and "personally" wanted more
exposure, not just hype on slashdot, for Gnome.  I have no research to
back this up, but seems to be common sense that if a few more distros use
Gnome for their default more use and development will follow. I thought
thiswould be nice.

> OSS is by nature a "scratch an itch" development model. Linus says this
>  often when the media asks him what features will be added to Linux in
> the future - he says, "whatever people want to develop."

Okay, I don't think I said different. Not sure were this comes from.
Related to the web app argument?

I never found a distro with a Gnome desktop I was happy with (Mandrake
included), so I used Debian and put a lot of work into getting Gnome the
way I wanted it. There are many distro choices for KDE users, only a few
for Gnome users and I didn't like those options. Ubuntu meets this need
now.Doesn't this fit the whole itch thing?

> At this point it doesn't look to me like KDE is pushing Gnome by the
> wayside. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. Nobody has to win the war,
> because they're not really competing for money or market share. As long
>  as people keep developing them, they'll live on.
>
> -dc

No problem here in principle.
However, there is a "market" in OSS, just not the Wall street kind. There is
also competition involved to a lesser extent, but it exists. We are going
further down the wrong road, but If everyone stops using XFree86 and moves
to X.org way will developers continue working on XFree86?

I don't think OSS is so completely "supply sided".

The book "The Success of Open Source" goes into this much better then
I can.

Does this make more sense? Or should we just give up?

--
Kevin C. Smith