[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 16:58:24 -0600

Kevin C. Smith wrote:

> Since there are many distros using KDE as their default, they tend to
> improve on it then send some or all of that back to KDE. This helps
> KDE developement. Wanting the same forces pushig Gnome development
> and wanting Gnome to get more exposure isn't being a zeolot is it?
> <humor>
> Or do you KDE people want "special rights"?
> Maybe a contract with all distros requiring them to use KDE as their
> default. They can include other desktops but they can't tell the user
> its on the cd or how to install it. Call the MS Linux contract.
> </ humor>

I have no idea how much Mandrake developers contrib back to either KDE
or Gnome. I get the idea that they try to support both...

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/10.1/features/3.php3

Following your logic, if I develop a web app in PHP, does that mean I
should also develop it for mod_perl and JSP?

OSS is by nature a "scratch an itch" development model. Linus says this
often when the media asks him what features will be added to Linux in
the future - he says, "whatever people want to develop."

At this point it doesn't look to me like KDE is pushing Gnome by the
wayside. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. Nobody has to win the war,
because they're not really competing for money or market share. As long
as people keep developing them, they'll live on.

-dc