[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

Renegade Muskrat cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:23:41 -0600

 >There really haven't been many Gnome desktop distros, Redhat being
the
 >only real choice for years, but now we have Ubuntu.

I wouldn't say Red Hat is the only choice for Gnome. My brother
acquired a new computer recently. His old one had Red Hat 9 that i set
up for him. I asked if he wanted Linux or Windows on the new one (he
definitely is not a "computer person" either) and he chose Linux. He
mainly uses the computer for web surfing and games. From his
perspective, Linux comes with better games; it certainly comes with
more than a default install of Windows. Anyway, last weekend i
installed Debian on his new machine (since that's the distro i've been
playing around with the most recently and i'm *really* starting to like
the aptitude way of managing packages and keeping the system up to
date). I was going to set up KDE, since of the massively bloated window
managers, it is the one that i have a slight preference for. But sound
in games didn't work when KDE was running. Switched to Gnome and
suddenly everything works. So he'll most likely be using Gnome.

Personally, i prefer AfterStep, with everything but the Pager module
turned off. Debian is one of the few distros that still includes
AfterStep. And that was on my short list of reasons that i switched my
main machine to Debian a few weeks back.

Since Ubuntu is mentioned, reminds me I need to try it. I downloaded it
not long ago, and the md5 sum checked out, but i think the CD i burned
it onto was bad because it wouldn't get very far in the boot process
before dying. When the bootup died, it started spinning the CD drive at
speeds heretofore unknown to it. Sounded like the thing was preparing
to take off. If i burn another copy i expect it will work better.
                                                -- Dan
             "I'm still sane on three planets and two moons."
       Daniel Ramaley                  3118 Cottage Grove Ave Apt 8
       dramaley at spatulacity dot cx        Des Moines, Iowa 50311
       http://www.spatulacity.cx/                    (515) 271-5233
        WARNING: REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE MAY BE IN
                 VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE COPYRIGHT LAWS.
                 THIS MESSAGE NOT GUARANTEED Y-TO-K COMPLIANT.