[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:34:56 -0600

Kevin C. Smith wrote:

> DISTRO WAR..
>
> You Mandrake people.

Uh, oh. It's an us & them thing.

> Mandrake doesn't have a supported gnome as it's default desktop,
> Ubuntu does. I assume SuSE also has equivalent features.

Mandrake defaults to KDE. But you can choose gnome, or one of several
other WM's. It's gotta default to one - that's the nature of a default
setting. During the install, you can choose not to install KDE at all,
and go with gnome. Gnome is fully supported. Like it or not, KDE is more
popular, so it got the nod as the default WM.

It's not at all like RH / Fedora and the Bluecurve dumbed down WM, so
you can't really tell if you're running KDE or gnome.

BTW - when did you become a gnome zealot? I thought you were all about XFCE.

In any case... linux / oss is all about choice. Why you gotta be hatin'?

#insert Life of Brian, People's Liberation Front scene.

> The End.

Probably not.

-dc