[Cialug] Ubuntu cds

Kevin C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:20:30 -0600 (CST)

> Kevin C. Smith wrote:
>> For those interested I will bring a live cd of Ubuntu.
>>
>> http://ubuntulinux.org/
>>
>> I will also bring my laptop to burn Ubuntu ISOs. If you want a Ubuntu
>> live cd, or install cd please bring your own writable cd.
>>
>> (I'll bring some, but I don't trust this last cd batch I purchased.
>> Lots of coasters.)
>>
>> I'm liking this distro. The will release every six months. The current
>> release is their first, so it's considered "not pretty" yet.
>> The word on the Ubuntu list is that the next release will include more
>> mods/additions to gnome, such as a automatic wireless connection
>> applet that will handle your profiles (a piece that I find lacking in
>> most linux distros). Also coming more laptop support, dealing with
>> centrino stuff out of box, X.org will replace XFree (no surprise
>> there), bootsplash, and more.
>>
>> Ndswrapper is already included and works for most installs
>> I've seen on the list. Some firmware is included, as well as Nvidia
>> modules, and MadWifi. Madwifi worked out of box for me, so my new
>> laptops multiband (a/b/g) Atheros WiFi just works. Also they included
>> "pmount" for hotplugging and mounting devices, which works great
>> (cleans Fedora's clock).
>>
>> I've also ordered pressed cds to give out, but I do not expect them by
>> meeting time :(.
>>

> Sounds a lot like Mandrake 10.1's feature list.
>
> -dc

DISTRO WAR..

You Mandrake people.

Mandrake doesn't have a supported gnome as it's default desktop,
Ubuntu does. I assume SuSE also has equivalent features.

Gnome desktops:
Ubuntu = Gnome 2.8, Debian based(deb packages).
Fedora = Gnome 2.8, Redhat (RPM), (package update using either apt or yum
  sucked compared to apt/debs; slow, slow, slow, and failed 10% of the time)
  also I don't like Fedora's default Gnome desktop.

KDE desktops:
Mandrake = KDE, RPM Based (urpmi may be cool, but no personal experience.)
SuSE = KDE, RPM
And a bunch more......

If I wanted KDE I would most likely go Mandrake.

There really haven't been many Gnome desktop distros, Redhat being the only
real choice for years, but now we have Ubuntu.

I'm not saying KDE = Evil and Gnome = Good, just a matter of choice.
I am a Debian user, so Ubuntu seems like a natural choice for me.
I have liked dpkg/apt on Debian distros over RPM/apt/yum on
Redhat based distros.

The End.

--
Kevin C. Smith