[Cialug] Linux Tweaks and Hacks

David Champion cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:03:19 -0600

Nathan C. Smith wrote:

> Has there ever been a demonstration at a meeting on how to recompile the
> kernel?  I compiled a new kernel on a 486 successfully in 1998 and (three
> days later) that was the last time I had any success (or exerted much effort
> to try) even with all the neat new tools available to do it today.

A long long time ago.

I haven't built a custom kernel for a long time - circa RedHat 4.2 it
was really a neccesity to get things like network cards or scsi
controllers to work. At the time, I had it down to a science... if you
did the steps in the right order it worked just about every time.

If someone is more up to speed on building a current kernel, that might
make a nice demo.

-dc