[Cialug] Linux Tweaks and Hacks

Nathan C. Smith cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:42:02 -0600

Anybody care to share their favorite performance tweaks for Linux?

When I install a redhat-based system I like to use the reiserfs file system.
I feel like it gives better performance but I don't have any quantitative
evidence.

At the installation prompt I enter 'linux enable reiserfs' and then during
the graphical partition set-up I edit the individual partitions and switch
them to reiserfs.

Has there ever been a demonstration at a meeting on how to recompile the
kernel?  I compiled a new kernel on a 486 successfully in 1998 and (three
days later) that was the last time I had any success (or exerted much effort
to try) even with all the neat new tools available to do it today.

-Nate