[Cialug] Linux Tweaks and Hacks

James Shoemaker cialug@cialug.org
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:09:25 -0600

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Anybody care to share their favorite performance tweaks for Linux?
>
> When I install a redhat-based system I like to use the reiserfs file system.
> I feel like it gives better performance but I don't have any quantitative
> evidence.
>
> At the installation prompt I enter 'linux enable reiserfs' and then during
> the graphical partition set-up I edit the individual partitions and switch
> them to reiserfs.

	Have they fixed the performance problems with Reiser yet?  I used to
use reiser, but had problems with it dropping frames when capturing from
my DV camera.  I switched to Ext3 and all my problems went away.  Reiser
seemed to be a little too agressive with caching and it spent too much
time in kernel mode and missed interrupts when it flushed its cache.
The system worked fine until the cache filled up, then the machine would
freeze while the cache was flushed to disk.
	It was described on the mailing lists as large writes starving reads,
but in actuality they starved EVERYTHING.
	With Ext3 on the same machine I could capture from my camera, and
encode MPEG so it wasn't a performance problem, but an architecture
issue.  The machine was a Duron 1Ghz with Wide Fast SCSI drives.

James