[Cialug] cell phone registry - do not call

cialug@cialug.org cialug@cialug.org
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:33:08 -0600

the national do not call list has all the cell phone numbers (area code and
prefix) on it already. my cell number area code & suffix is 319-541-****
the national do not call list has 319-541-**** on it by default. if the fcc
is going to undo this i'm calling my senator. i do not want to waste my
precious minutes on some sales call.

don't get me wrong if you have done business with a company they can call
you on anything related to that prior business relationship and that is the
only exception to which they can call. i've had extensive training on
compliance with the do not call registry. i used to work for MCI
(2002-2003) and i also worked for Gallup (1999-2001), both could not call
cell phones for any reason what so ever. this does not mean it didn't
happen. when it did, the company is liable for any time used on the persons
cell phone. not reimbursing the minutes makes the company subject to a
$50,000 fine and other civil damages.

now unless someone can pull up the legislation saying that you can get
unsolicited calls on cell phones i'd love to read it. (its good to have
these things on hand when your on the phone w/ a senator).