[Cialug] CentOS upgrades

Hasler, Chris ChrisHasler at alliantenergy.com
Fri Jan 28 00:18:35 UTC 2022

I can confirm that Oracle is cheaper.  Employer has had a support contact for years, not my choice but in business, options which save money are usually preferred.

We use Oracle's version of the Red Hat kernel and not Oracle UEK.  It does feel wrong that Oracle takes Red Hat's source code and compiles it into their own branded distribution and offers it at a cheaper support cost.  We only purchase support for a handful or servers, one of which is the server used to run the nightly repo download script.  Even though we only purchase support for a few systems, we have 900+ Oracle Linux servers which we patch from our internal repo.  This is all legal via Oracles own Open Source documentation.   We have not seen major delay in security updates.

When we talk with software vendors and ask if they will support running on Oracle Linux rather than Red Hat, the standard answer we receive is: "If there is a problem that they determine is OS related, we would have to re-create the issue on a Red Hat server before they would offer application support", but in 10 years we have not come across any application issue caused because the OS was Oracle Linux.  I also don’t know of any instance where an application vendor has refused any support.

Oracle does use their UEK distribution on their Exadata products (which we also have) and claims they have optimized it for better performance and have contributed back to the open source community what they have developed.
Chris H.