[Cialug] Stimulus -> new TV (slightly off topic)

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Mar 24 19:10:21 UTC 2021

Honestly... the  $500.00 (probably $399.99 now) 65 inch 4K LCD Walmart
Hi-sense TV's with Roku built in are really nice.  If you have to use your
own streaming devices, not a problem, they have a bunch of HDMI inputs.
It's pretty much just a big monitor.

I use them as TV's and for presentations in meeting rooms.  You're doing
yourself a disservice if you don't at least take a look.   I couldn't
believe it myself.  I bought one on a whim, then went back the next day and
bought two more.

:) Dave

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 2:02 PM David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Agree that I wouldn't buy a "smart" TV, it will probably not be as good as
> the stand-alone streamers and will go obsolete long before the TV.
>
> Samsung makes a nice TV. I've had a Toshiba LCD TV for a very long time,
> have never had a bit of trouble with it.
>
> If money is no object, the new OLED TVs are amazing.
>
> -dc
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:54 PM Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:
>
> > I would honestly try to avoid the "smart" tv's and just get a really good
> > display, then pair it with something like an Nvidia Shield or a Roku box.
> > The tv's don't get updates as often, and many of them get updates you
> don't
> > want.  Specifically, some of them are getting ad's delivered to the
> > freaking
> > TV.
> >
> > Sceptre makes VERY good quality sets and they are usually inexpensive as
> > well.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:50 PM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:
> >
> > > OK, .. stimulus check in hand, .. time to replace the 20 year old DLP!
> > >
> > > Samsung seems to be the market leader, .. but when comparing it is
> pretty
> > > obvious that they have a good marking department; new models at least
> > > every year, at least three different types, .. .. ..
> > >
> > > So, .. questions are:
> > >
> > > Is Samsung worth it? Are there any security risks, as the simplicity of
> > > built-in clients for streaming services will most likely get used?
> > >
> > > Seems like LG is about 1/3 less, .. AND they use WebOS. Parity?
> > >
> > > Thoughts would be appreciated.
> > >
> > >         Lee

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us