[Cialug] BTC Mining

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon May 18 06:33:18 UTC 2020

Don't forget about the increased heat load in your house. My basement is
noticeably warmer than it should be from all of my servers and I'm sure it
affects the rest of the house as well. That isn't too bad in the winter but
the A/C season is coming up.

I think that home crypto mining has been a losing game for a long time.
Only those that can afford to go big and locate in low energy cost areas
make money these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLlShUUaqg

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 5:33 PM Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> No, but I looked at it about a year ago using antminer and I couldn't make
> it work without incurring an overall loss.   I'm in a little different
> position now. I'm making about 8kw per hour (during peak sun) of
> electricity from solar, but if I included the upfront solar cost, I'd still
> come out at a loss.
>
> If I could get my electricity cheaper, I'd give it a shot, but it doesn't
> really seem like it's worth the effort unless you have a total capability
> of least 250TH/s and that's roughly 10kw/h worth the juice.   That's not
> insignificant.   I'd need roughly 30kw/h of solar capacity to power 5
> 50TH/s antminer's 24x7.   Maybe I could run them 6hrs a day with a 10kw
> capacity, but then I'd be feeding the antminers instead of the house and
> the office..... The math is disappointing on a small scale.
>
> You can buy a decent used solar pv setup fairly cheap and you might able to
> make some fast money, but you'd need to buy the latest antminer's upfront
> as soon as you had your solar array in place. You'd need to mine as much as
> possible in the first three months... It's a big outlay and a lot of risk.
>
> :) Dave
>

> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 4:20 PM Dave Weis <djweis at sjdjweis.com> wrote:
>
> > Is anyone on the list commercially mining BTC? Are you using GPU's or
> > Antminer/similar boxes?
> >
> > dave
> >

> --
> NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
> https://www.osis.us

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.