[Cialug] BTC Mining

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Sun May 17 22:32:23 UTC 2020

No, but I looked at it about a year ago using antminer and I couldn't make
it work without incurring an overall loss.   I'm in a little different
position now. I'm making about 8kw per hour (during peak sun) of
electricity from solar, but if I included the upfront solar cost, I'd still
come out at a loss.

If I could get my electricity cheaper, I'd give it a shot, but it doesn't
really seem like it's worth the effort unless you have a total capability
of least 250TH/s and that's roughly 10kw/h worth the juice.   That's not
insignificant.   I'd need roughly 30kw/h of solar capacity to power 5
50TH/s antminer's 24x7.   Maybe I could run them 6hrs a day with a 10kw
capacity, but then I'd be feeding the antminers instead of the house and
the office..... The math is disappointing on a small scale.

You can buy a decent used solar pv setup fairly cheap and you might able to
make some fast money, but you'd need to buy the latest antminer's upfront
as soon as you had your solar array in place. You'd need to mine as much as
possible in the first three months... It's a big outlay and a lot of risk.

:) Dave

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 4:20 PM Dave Weis <djweis at sjdjweis.com> wrote:

> Is anyone on the list commercially mining BTC? Are you using GPU's or
> Antminer/similar boxes?
>
> dave

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us