[Cialug] OT: Cable Modem troubelshooting

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri May 1 17:18:08 UTC 2020

It's more than just MediaCom wanting to control the firmware, it's the
whole cable internet industry as it's baked into the DOCSIS protocol. On
the one hand, if you have an ISP that cares, they can remotely update
firmware to fix security issues (like for the recent Cable Haunt
vulnerability). Most end-users probably never heard about Cable Haunt and
probably wouldn't know how to update the firmware anyway.

On the other hand, savvy end users like us lose a measure of control.
Especially if we purchased our own modem to save on rental fees and to get
a better performing device.

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:10 AM David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Being a former ISP employee, I get that MC wants to control the modems, but
> a huge nerd I also want to be able to control my network devices.
>
> They temporarily loaned me one of their combined modem/router/phone
> devices, I was like "uh, no". Took it back to them yesterday.
>
> -dc
>

> On Fri, May 1, 2020, 11:05 AM Jared Brees <fromj2sitsme at msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Moost point since it's working now, but side note - you CAN mess with
> > firmware, it just (if applicable) either requires soldering headers, or
> > spinning up your own equipment, similar to what Mediacom has on the other
> > end. Even if you do the 2nd option, that firmware is "gone" as soon as it
> > reboots.

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.