[Cialug] What Are the Core Linux Packages?

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 17:18:19 UTC 2020

If you had to write a one liner to identify the core packages on your
system that make up the base of any* Linux system, how would you do that?
I'm talking binutils, coreutils, glibc, kmod, the kernel itself, of course.

It occurs to me that most of these are GNU project stuff, but not all. And
I wouldn't know how to search "what's gnu?" anyway.

You could install a minimal image of the top 10 Linux distros and count
packages, but that's obviously not a "one-liner".

Any suggestions?

*Almost any. Gentoo, Arch, et al giving us choices, messing up conformity.

--
Todd