[Cialug] Video Conferencing

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jun 4 16:37:57 UTC 2020

Teams has a beta Linux client that works decently. Feature-wise it's a bit
behind the Windows client (computational background blurring/replacement is
the big one missing right now) but it works. The only major thing that
isn't working is that last time I tried sharing my desktop the client
crashed. It's been a few weeks since I tried that so maybe that is fixed.

I can't say that I'm really in love with Teams but if you're forced into
using it because it's what everyone else is using it's at least bearable.

I've only used Google Meet a couple of times but it's worked solidly every
time. It's all browser based so Linux compatibility isn't a problem.

Webex works well in the browser, except that you can't let someone control
your desktop which makes remote support difficult.

I can't personally recommend Jitsi, unless you have a lot of free time to
get it set up and then deal with the quirks, plus the cost of hosting. The
one time I tried a "real" conference over my self-hosted setup it kept
crashing the browsers on my parent's computers.

I haven't used Zoom enough to have much of an opinion.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:46 AM Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:

> I have to agree with Scott on Teams, I was really surprised...
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:40 AM Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:
>
> > I will also mention MS Teams as being a very stable and continually
> > improving solution.  If you can get past the MS smell, it is really well
> > done.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 10:38 AM Dave Hala <dave at 58ghz.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I also had the performance issues with the Firefox browser with Jitsi
> and
> > > GotoMeeting.
> > >
> > > Microsoft Teams works really well in my browser in Linux.

> client
> > > for

> dchamp1337 at gmail.com

> > > Windows,
> > > standard.

> https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/214629443-Zoom-Web-Client?mobile_site=true

> > crash
> > > or
> > features

> Why????
> > > Is

> > > whatever
> everyone
> > > has
> > > TechRadar
> on

> requests
> > > from
> > Webex.

> > > --
> > > NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
> > > https://www.osis.us
> >

> --
> NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
> https://www.osis.us

Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.