[Cialug] IPFire

Jared Brees fromj2sitsme at msn.com
Mon Feb 10 17:27:11 UTC 2020

I'll play with it and let you know... eventually.

If you're strictly Linux vs Unix (BSD), OPN/pf won't suit you.

I use pfSense for most things just because it's so stupid simple to setup. I was a huge fan of m0n0wall due to its lack of hand-holding (at least, beyond giving you a webGUI) and "just enough" OS to do what it needed to do. The m0n0wall team recommends OPNSense as a replacement, and I can see that - they support more platforms than pfSense, and the webGUI really feels like they took the pfSense CSS file and dropped it onto a m0n0wall box.

Untangle hardly wants to boot on anything semi-modern; ClearOS felt like someone tacked on firewall functions to a general-purpose SMB server distro. Smoothwall/Openwall I didn't try since they hadn't been updated in over two years at the time I was testing things.

Believe I also had issues getting Zeroshell to boot; didn't want to take the time to learn Vyatta/VyOS so never even tried it.