[Cialug] CentOS changes

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Thu Dec 10 17:17:53 UTC 2020

A lot of companies that got used to RHEL for free are bummed they can't
anymore. While I get that some will move to other distros, using upstream
CentOS at the last snapshot BEFORE it becomes RHEL doesn't seem like a
terrible idea at zero investment cost.

IT departments upset they can't just get RHEL at no cost though..... the
irony they'd switch to something else just to continue not paying for open
source is wild.

I wonder how many shops that contribute to upstream codebases will switch.
My guess is those supporting the ecosystem won't be flustered, but those
who only treat it as a free product will be bent and leave.

-theron