[Cialug] CentOS changes

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Thu Dec 10 16:58:06 UTC 2020

I'm not sure that will be the "one thing" that drives people to other
disto's. You can get the plain jane version of rhel 8 for a $100 yr.  I've
got a few of those licenses.  That's manageable and affordable.  Also, if
you're a linux hobbyist, you're probably not using Centos 8 or  RHEL 8,  so
RHEL isn't even a consideration.

For me, I like to develop on what I run on. That means running RHEL 8 as a
dev workstation.  This is where RHEL is lacking.  The Wayland x11 server is
slow and buggy, so I don't use it.  A lot of the common apps I would like
to use aren't available for RHEL 8.   RHEL 8 has specific versions of
applications like php and mariadb where the configurations are slightly
different than most other distros.  For example, you can't find a good
how-to to configure a PHP SSL connection to a remote rhel 8 mariadb server.
Those howtos are out there, but are geared primarily to Ubuntu and debian.

Don't even get me started with the "drop in" compatibility confusion with
Mariadb as the new default on RHEL 8.

This year when making the transition to RHEL 8 there were all kinds of
issues with Wayland when running as a VirtualBox Guest.  Ubuntu didn't have
those problems.

Over the last two years I've been working on a number of different
distro's. Raspian, Debian and Ubuntu are the common ones.  As a boring,
stripped down limited function server platform RHEL is solid, no reason to
change. However, Ubuntu as a workstation is rather appealing, in that it
just works, there are tons of apps and good howto's.  When you look at it
compared to a RHEL 8 workstation, RHEL 8 seems crude.

You could argue that this is just me being whiny and that RHEL 8 wasn't
designed for that, or that maybe I need to up my linux game. However, I
need to get work done and I don't have time to spend tinkering with
applications and build configurations. I need something that works.
Where's the balance? What's the tipping point?

For me, the reason to look at migrating to Ubuntu is that I would have a
wider selection of dev app's that are easier to setup and configure and
since I also need to do datacenter upgrades, this might just be the one
additional thing on top of all the others that makes it a tipping point for
me.  I would be able to transition my data center AND move into an improved
workstation environment, instead of having a dev workstation  that just
meets the bare minimum requirement.

:) Dave

On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 10:09 AM L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, David Champion wrote:
>
> > So, this is happening...
> > https://itsfoss.com/centos-stream-fiasco/
> > TL;DR is CentOS will no longer be the stable release that mirrors RHEL,
> itwill be more like Fedora. CentOS 7 will be supported through 2024.
> Lookslike IBM is trying to drive more people to paying for RHEL, or more
> likelydrive them to using another free alternative like Ubuntu server.
> >
> Better yet, .. OpenSuSE. Your choice:
>
>         Rolling release         Tumbleweed
>         Stable                  Leap
>         Commercial              SuSE
>
> Much better admin tools (zypper, yast), .. stable systemd architecture.
>
> Lee

NIFCAP  -The Premier Client Intake System for Non-Profit Organizations.
https://www.osis.us