[Cialug] The question of Remote viewing of LUG meetings

Matt matt at itwannabe.com
Fri Sep 20 17:36:56 UTC 2019

I was wondering, would it be possible to set the meeting up so that it
could be heard over something like Discord?  You'd at least then be able
to have a good level of control over who hears the meeting, so that
people who don't like the idea of being recorded would know who (at
least, assuming you only allowed people whose Discord usernames you
know) was attending the virtual side of the meeting.  I know Discord has
a Linux client, so it should be able to be used by anyone on any OS who
wanted to listen, or even participate, remotely.

I'm not sure what the story is with Discord and video.  I know you can
create inline youtube links in the Discord text channels, but I'm not
sure if that would be helpful for the slides.  You could always use a
separate video streaming/screen share program for those.

Personally, I'd prefer to be able to participate, rather than just
listen to a recording or livestream.

-- Matt (N0BOX)