[Cialug] Android/Printer Setup

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 17:43:14 UTC 2019

If the cable modem provides a built-in Wireless Access Point (WAP),
then you could set up both the printer and the phone to connect
through that. If not, then you will need to purchase and install a WAP
and configure it, plus the devices, for everything to talk. I doubt if
she is printing from her phone, she would want to connect it to some
sort of ethernet cable (if that's even possible with her phone) every
time.

Like most non-technical people, it sounds like she know what is
possible, knows what she wants based on that, but just needs a little
help putting the technical bits together.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 1:41 AM Todd Pierce <toddcpierce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm so sorry to ask stupid questions again.
>
> (by the way, the wildlife camera you suggested is working great for
> security)
>
> Since I am working for a woman, I have to check my sanity.  Yes, the Canon
> Pixma 3620 has wifi capability, and yes, Canon has perfectly fine Android
> software to handle this (printer undetected by wifi), but shouldn't there
> be a hub attached to her cable modem to actually create the LAN?  I'm not
> really a hardware guy, but if it were my network, I'd have a hub attached
> to it straight away.
>
> So, if anybody has time to spare on this one, I'd sure appreciate some
> advice.  You can tell that she wants to print from her phone.  Here in
> Santa Fe we can pick up a hub and a couple of ethernet cables for $10...
> but we know how ladies are.
>
> -Todd

Tired programmer
Coding late into the night