[Cialug] best solution for sending regular email reports

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Sat Jun 22 21:18:33 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 1:34 PM Hakan E. Duran <ehakanduran at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you Jeffrey. There are a lot of very useful information here and I
> wasn't aware of most of them. I will definitely check out Mailgun and
> pushover.net.
>
> I thought ssmtp required an SMTP server, such as google's
> to work and that was part of the reason why I got into this adventure. I
> think that is what you are also stating too, and it doesn't eliminate
> the need of using a working server. Am I missing something?

Yes, ssmtp requires a real SMTP server _somewhere_. It can be GMail or
Mailgun or whatever.  The reason to install ssmtp on the system that
produces the reports instead of sendmail. postfix, or exim is to make it
easy to send emails from other programs (like might be generated by cron or
other system utilities that you can't modify) without the hassle of running
a "real" SMTP server. Obviously, if you write a custom Python program you
can use the Python SMTP libraries to send email directly to a remote SMTP
server.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.