[Cialug] Bash or Terminal Output

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:37:12 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:23 AM Will <staticphantom at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please let me know if I missed the key points of this email thread.  But if
> someone wants to lock screen scrolling and needs additional parsing help, I
> can help but to wonder if a combination of tools like screen, grep, awk,
> tee, and/or tail would be beneficial.

No, you pretty much got the key points there. Except that the OP was
griping and moaning that the features he wants aren't built straight
into his shell. (People! Amiright?)

Also, he just thought of two (one) other thing(s) that would be nice
to have built in to his shell: stderr differentiation! As in, an
environment variable in which one can store color information and/or
an environment variable ($PS5 in bash maybe?) for a new prompt, to
color/modify output from stderr.

I would set stderr to always output as red when sent to the terminal
and probably maybe to prefix stderr output with a greater-than symbol
or exclamation point.

--
Todd