[Cialug] insert image into a pdf

Dave Hala dave at 58ghz.net
Sat Dec 7 16:17:47 UTC 2019

For the most part I use pdftk for manipulating pdfs.  It has a paid
companion app called stamptk, that will overlay images into a pdf in a
specific location. I think of it like a watermark.

It would appear that PDFtk is no longer maintained by original developer.
Thankfully, it was open source and a couple of places have tweaked the code
and rebuilt the rpm's so that they can still be used on RHEL 7 and RHEL 8.
 Since stamptk was a paid component, I can no longer get a purchase it or
get the source.   I tried to contact the developer, but no response.

Using a paid webservice really isn't an option due to privacy issues.
There are some other commercial utilities available, but they are
subscription based and that pricing is outside of my budget.

I did come up with a solution, although it is overly complex.  I just take
the pdf, convert it to a png, then use imagemajick to overlay the other
image file on top of it, then convert it back to pdf.  You end up with a
pdf that is basically an image, but in this particular instance that is ok,
because once we get to this point that particular document is never going
to be edited.

Still not optimal, but a workable solution nonetheless.

:) Dave