[Cialug] Century link fiber

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Oct 17 19:06:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:22 PM Nathan C. Smith <NSmith at hhlawpc.com> wrote:

> Back to the topic of CenturyLink:  I have a C1000Z by ZyXel, is there anything better to get to move up to 80 Mbps DSL?  No fiber in our area.

Unfortunately for CenturyLink DSL you're pretty much stuck with Zyxel
gear because no one else makes cheap routers/modems with the ADSL2
interface that is necessary (at least none that are available in the
US). Before I switched to Mediacom I had 80Mbps DSL service from
CenturyLink - what I did was to turn off WiFi on the Zyxel router and
configure it to pass through PPPoE to my USG. Basically the Zyxel was
then just a dumb modem and my USG did all of the hard lifting.

I think you can get Cisco gear (and maybe others) that support ADSL2
but it's *not* cheap.

I'd recommend buying the Zyxel modem (Best Buy used to carry them) as
it doesn't take all that long for those $10/mo modem rental fees to
add up.

> Does it seem to anyone else like CenturyLink has stepped up their game (and the requisite cheats: "Internet Cost Recovery Fee" anyone?).  I think it is great they are delivering fiber to the home.  I only wish it was a company you could trust.  I think Mediacom has made some serious strides too.

Both CenturyLink and Mediacom are large corporations that have
problems with customer service mainly because their duopoly means that
they don't have to.

--
Jeff Ollie
The majestik møøse is one of the mäni interesting furry animals in Sweden.