[Cialug] Century link fiber

Nathan C. Smith NSmith at hhlawpc.com
Wed Oct 17 18:21:41 UTC 2018

I'm an avid Unifi wireless user and agree with everything John says below.  I've had a few bad access points and two that met their demise when I juiced them with the wrong flavor of PoE.  Also, an Edgerouter Pro that went belly-up after a firmware upgrade.  I used to be a rabid pfSense fan but I can get two Edgerouters for what I used to spend on a good pfSense box, though they aren't exactly apples-to-apples without the IDS (as John notes).

I prefer the Edgeswitches and Edgerouters to Unifi because up until not long ago there was not good control over the switches with regard to VoIP QoS and VLANs.  The Edgemax line still has the best best fine-grain control for policing and QoS and routing protocols and esoteric stuff like multicast and LDP.

The UNMS system is in development and coming along for Unifi-like SD-WAN/LAN type management of Edgerouter equipment and I would rather spend once on Ubiquiti than perpetually for something like Meraki.  I don't mind the lack of pro support.

Back to the topic of CenturyLink:  I have a C1000Z by ZyXel, is there anything better to get to move up to 80 Mbps DSL?  No fiber in our area.

Does it seem to anyone else like CenturyLink has stepped up their game (and the requisite cheats: "Internet Cost Recovery Fee" anyone?).  I think it is great they are delivering fiber to the home.  I only wish it was a company you could trust.  I think Mediacom has made some serious strides too.

-Nate